Quaker Cemetery was established in 1758 by the pioneer settlers of northern Mendham Township who founded Mendham (later Randolph) Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends and built their Meeting House on the one acre site that year.

The Cemetery has been in continuous use since 1758. After membership in the Randolph Meeting declined in the 1860s, James W. Brotherton and his sister Rachel Brotherton Vail along with Elwood Vail, Rachel?s husband, assumed primary responsibility for maintenance of the property. Memorial services continued with individual families caring for the graves of their departed members. Some nineteenth-century burials were of non-Friends.

For additonal information, see: